What is Athina’s Ride?
The Merckx family are hosting a virtual ride to benefit the Desmoid Tumour Foundation Canada. Just like our Granfondo event, you can choose from four distances: 160 km, 126 km, 92 km or 55km. You'll ride (virtually) with cyclists from around the globe and raise money for this wonderful cause.
Starting on May 10th, 2021, you can start training for your distance until the Ride Weekend. On July 10th to July 11th, ride your distance (160 km, 126 km, 92 km or 55km) with others from across globe.
Log your training rides on this platform and start fundraising now to earn great rewards and chances to win awesome prizes.
When does the official ride take place?
You can start uploading your training rides on May 10th, 2021. On July 10th and 11th (i.e. Ride Weekend), you'll challenge yourself to ride your chosen distance.
How does the event work?
Register for the ride and start your training and fundraising right away. You can upload your training rides to your profile page by following the instructions (see 'How do I sync my tracking app?' below). There are some great prizes to be won, and rewards to be earned, by training and raising money for this great cause.
What are the distances?
The Event Weekend (July 10th and July 11th) distances are: 160 km, 126 km, 92 km and 55km.
You can set your own training goals, but for those that hit the following target a reward will be unlocked (note: the 'ride distance' is the distance you select at registration):
- 160 km ride distance = 2,000 km training target
- 126 km ride distance = 1,200 km training target
- 92 km ride distance = 800 km training target
- 55 km ride distance = 500 km training target
Can I enter if I am not Canadian?
Yes, you can! This is a virtual event so you can take part in the ride wherever you are. If you fundraise, your rewards and prizes (if you win) will be sent to your registered address. However, donations from outside of Canada will not be eligible for charitable receipts.
What is a Team?
By creating or joining a team, you will be able to link your profile with other riders in a given team. This will mean you will see the leaderboard of team members only for cumulative distance during the training period (May 10th - July 9th, 2021), over Ride Weekend (July 10th and July 11th) and for fundraising goals. You will be able to create your team’s fundraising target and share blog posts for support with each other.
Can I create or join a team?
When signing up you will be presented with the Team step where you will be able to either select to join or create a team. This step will select the Create a Team option by default and to create a team you would choose a unique team name, set a team fundraising goal, and set a team training goal.
To join a team simply select the Join a Team option in this step and begin typing in the name of the team you wish to join which will appear as you type. Select the team from the dropdown list and continue.
Do I have to log my training rides?
There is no requirement to log your training rides. However, by logging your training kilometres, you can unlock fun rewards, engage with other riders and update your supporters on your progress.
How do I sync my tracking app?
You can upload your rides manually (through your account on this site) or automatically using one of the popular fitness apps.
Follow these steps to track your kilometres automatically:
- Download the Fitbit, Strava or MapMyRide app and set up your account, or if you already have these ensure you are logged in.
- Log in to your Athina’s Ride account on the Athina’s Ride website: www.athinasride.com.
- Once logged into the Athina’s Ride site, click the drop down menu from your name on the top right corner. Under the heading , click your chosen app.
- Follow the prompts to connect your account.
- On your next ride, select ‘start your workout’ in the app on your phone. Once you end your workout, save your workout and ensure that this is posted as a public activity. Your distance will be published to the tally on your page the following day.
- If you have synced your app already, but it is not working, please log in and reconnect it.
- When using Fitbit, you must ‘start’ an activity and save it. If you are having issues, try syncing through both your Fitbit and the Fitbit app on your smartphone.
- When using MapMyRide, you must ‘start’ your workout, ‘stop’ your workout and then ‘save’ your workout.
- Your tally will be updated each day with the previous day’s distances.
- Remember, you can manually add your kilometres to the tally in your My Fitness Activity tab of your profile after registering (see below for instructions).
Follow these steps to manually add your kilometres:
- Log in to your account and select ‘My Fitness Activity’.
- Under ‘Add activity', enter the date and distance.
- The number of kilometres will now appear on your fundraising page.
How do I upload my rides?
You can upload rides manually and automatically using several fitness apps. See the FAQ instructions on "How do I sync my tracking app?" for more details.
How do I upload my rides?
Results are updated once every 24 hours. If youre results do not show up right away, please check again in 24 hours.
How can I get a custom buff, tee or jersey?
Sign up for Athina's Ride and encourage your family, friends, and colleagues to donate to support your challenge. Here's what you can score with each fundraising milestone:
- The Buff: once you’ve raised $100 you will score a technical buff - the perfect piece to have on hand today. Use it to keep the chill off your face and neck, scrunch it up as a headband or hair tie, or pull it up to cover your ears and face.
- Technical T: Reach the goal of $500 and receive a limited edition Athina's Ride performance t-shirt.
- Limited Edition Jersey: Go that extra mile, raise $1,000 and you will also receive a custom Athina's Ride premium jersey, made by Jakroo cycling apparel specialists.
If my team raises $100, $500 and $1,000, do we all get the swag?
No, the custom buff, tee, jersey are earned on individual fundraising achievements – not at a team level. However as individuals if you raise enough to trigger the swag, then you will have earned it for yourself.
Can I buy the swag?
The Athina's Ride custom buff, t-shirt and jersey are not available for purchase. You can earn these limited edition apparel items by fundraising for the Desmoid Tumour Foundation of Canada.
When will I receive my swag?
Merchandise items will not be ordered until the end of the event (July 11th). Depending on how quickly the suppliers can produce the items, it may be several weeks before we can ship them.
Is fundraising mandatory?
No, fundraising isn’t mandatory to participate in Athina's Ride, but we would encourage you to try! This is your personal challenge and you set your own goal, so it doesn’t have to be daunting! We’ve got the best tips and tricks to set you up for success on our fundraise page. Any amount you can fundraise will make an impact – doing good feels good! 100% of donations will go to Desmoid Fibromatosis research happening around the world, this research helps all people affected by this disease.
What are the donations for?
Desmoid Tumour Foundation Canada (DFC) has a medical advisory board who helps us direct funding towards the best and most relevant research research. Every year researchers from around the world submit their proposals for research to the Desmoid Tumor Research Foundation’s scientific advisory board made up of experts in desmoid research globally. The scientific advisory board selects the best research they feel merits funding. Our medical advisory board then selects from that list, which research DFC should support, based on the funds we have raised. That way we are not limiting ourselves but selecting the best most relevant research that will help us achieve the goals of improving treatment and ultimately finding a cure.
How do I start fundraising?
Fundraising is much easier than you think! Here are a few ways to kick start your fundraising:
1. Start with a self-donation. Contributing to your own challenge shows your family and friends that you are committed to making an impact and encourages them to do the same.
2. Spread the news. Share your fundraising page on social media and let your network know that you are riding for a cure. Everyone will want to support you and such an important cause.
3. Send an email. Your Dashboard has email templates ready for you to customize and send to your contacts.
4. Log and share your riding. Once people see your incredible efforts, they will naturally want to support you. Track your kms on Strava /MapMyRide, or manually add them to your dashboard, and share on social media.
Where do the donations go?
100% of all proceeds of Athina's Ride will go to the Desmoid Tumour Foundation Canada (DFC). DFC is the only Canadian foundation dedicated to funding desmoid tumour research and finding a cure for this rare disease. Research seeks to determine what goes wrong in cells to generate these tumours, what medical and surgical options work best, and what existing drugs or potential new drugs could provide effective treatments. DFC supports the collaboration between researchers from different institutions to expedite the development of a cure. Discoveries made through desmoid tumor research can also potentially be applied to many other kinds of cancers.
Do I have to ride or can I just fundraise?
There is no requirement to ride, however we hope that everyone will join us in our love for cycling, find a friend or loved one and go out for a ride.
Do I have to fundraise or can I just ride?
Athina's Ride is a free, virtual event and fundraising is not mandatory, but we would encourage you to try. Take the challenge and set your own goal - any amount you raise will help find a cure to a very rare, but very real disease. One hundred percent of all donations received will go to Desmoid Tumour Foundation of Canada.
Will I receive a receipt for my donation?
Since Athina's Ride raises funds for a registered charity (i.e. Desmoid Tumour Foundation of Canada), all donations will receive a Canadian tax receipt. If you don’t receive your receipt following your donation, look in your junk e-mail. If you still can't locate it, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
How do I access my tax receipt?
If you’ve made an online donation you will receive an automated e-mail that includes your tax receipt. If you don’t receive a receipt contact email@example.com.
Why is my tax receipt from the Desmoid Tumour Foundation of Canada?
The Desmoid Tumour Foundation of Canada (DFC) is our registered charity partner for Athina’s Ride, and DFC issues receipts for donations received through the event.